Role of the Tax Commissioner
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE TAX COMMISSIONER?
Responsibilities of the Tax Commissioner include (but are not limited to):
- Create and perfect the annual tax digest for the County and properly submit it to the State;
- Receive applications for homestead exemptions from ad valorem tax;
- Act as tag agent for the State of Georgia for the purpose of accepting applications for vehicle registrations, including responsibility for receiving, processing, issuing, and storing motor vehicle tiles and/or registrations;
- Promptly transfer required portions of collected taxes to the State, County, School, and relevant cities;
- Maintain an insolvent list; and
- Conform to rules and orders provided by the State Revenue Commissioner.